BUFFAVENTO CASTLE

BUFFAVENTO

N° 15
Town / Village :

District : Kyrenia

 

DESCRIPTION :

The peak on which Buffavento castle is built upon is the second highest peak  (954m) of the northern side of the Pentadaktylos mountain range from where one can survey the whole island apart from the southwestern area. The area’s inaccessibility and rocky surface are characteristics that predetermined the castle complex’s features, limiting its size but at the same time making it one of the strongest and unconquerable observation posts on the island.

It is comprised of three zones :

A large cistern and the remains of a large room that probably functioned as a stable were constructed in the lowest zone.

The second zone is comprised of the fortresses’ entrance with a pointed arch (renovated by the Franks) and located in the eastern wall of a two-story tower (only the first floor survives today which is covered by a groin-vault). To the west of the entrance there is a Lusignan building complex with an arched room and two other rooms carved into the natural rock. There is also an arched room with two cisterns in its floor. In the same area there are on either side of the stone staircase small arched rooms which probably used to function as arsenals. In the southwestern part of the fort there is a two-story building which belongs to the Byzantine period and is comprised of three rectangular rooms.

A staircase, which is partly carved into the natural rock, leads one to the highest zone. Here there are three buiding complexes. In the central area there is a rectangular building dated to the Lusignan period and covered with groin-vaults. This building possibly functioned as a chapel. To the west there is a row of four rooms belonging to the castle’s Byzantine phase. In the largest room’s floor there are two cisterns that concentrated the rain water which ran from the building’s flat roof via vertical water pipes. A cistern also exists in the second room and a third (outdoor) one is situated outside the castle’s north fortification wall. The rooms’ north wall extends westwards and leads to a narrow platform which was possibly the point from where the fire signals were communicated to Nicosia and Kyrenia.

 

 

 

.

Period :  end of the 11th century – beginning of the 12th century, Frankish period.

 

OUTSTANDING VALUE :

The Buffavento castle like that of Kantara and St Hilarion, was built at a time when Cyprus was a great military and political importance to the Byzantine Empire since nearly the whole of Asia Minor had been conquered by the Seltzouk Turks. The beginning of the crusades at the end of the 11th century made the island even more important from a strategic point of view. From the forts on the north side of the Pentadaktilos mountain range, and especially from Buffavento, one could observe the Cilicia Sea and the south coast of Asia Minor but also watch the ship’s movements in the area and transmit news to Nicosia with fire signals.

 

MAPS / LINKS

 

DOCUMENTS :

Buffavento is first heard of when Isaak Komnenos’ daughter surrendered both it and Kyrenia to Richard the Lionheart, as related by Benedict of Peterborough.

The Franks probably gave the castle the name Buffavent in memory of the Buffavent fort in the Savoy Mountains. During the Frankish period the castle was used as a fortress, a transmitting base and minly as a prison.

Like the other castles in the area, Buffavento was also destroyed by the Venetians , after 1529, in their attempt to prevent enemies from using it as a fortress. On the eve of the Ottoman conquest (1570), Astore Baglione, who was preparing Nicosia’s defense, seems to have sent the city’s unarmed civilians to Buffavento for protection.

 

                                                                            

BIBLIOGRAPHY :

PHOTOS / VIDEOS

 

NEWS / THREATS

 

Make a free website with emyspot.com - Report abuse