CHURCH OF THE B.V.M.

PANAGIA

N° 68 a
Town / Village : Trachoni / Demirhan

District : Nicosia

 

DESCRIPTION :

 The church of the B.V.M. was an attractive domed building. The nave is divided into three bays by three pointed arches resting on springers embedded into the side walls while the inscised cross plan is accentuated by lateral pointed arches embedded into the side walls. The first bay also acts as an narthex above which is the gallery, the floor of which rests on a wooden transverse beam supported on wooden brackets embedded into the side walls. The third bay contains a resting on a barrel drum, which is supported on massive stone rectangular piers. The sanctuary (hieron) is in ruins. A bell tower rests on the SW. The narthex has two fine early Gothic capitals, possibly belonging to an older building.

The iconostasis  (1670) is executed in carved motis of rosettes, vine leaves, grapes and cherubs heads in trefoil medallions.

To the right of the main north gate into the church courtyard there is a round ground well.

To the north of the porch there are numerous broken graves.

Period : 17th century.

 

OUTSTANDING VALUE :

One of the most important architectural masterpieces of the 17th century.

The church had an icon dedicated to the BVM which painted in 1670.

 

MAPS / LINKS

 

DOCUMENTS / BIBLIOGRAPHY

PHOTOS / VIDEOS

 

   

     

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

NEWS / THREATS

The church is in imminent collapse.

ADVERTS :

 10 Critical Mistakes To Avoid At The Job Interview
Are you like one of the many people around the world who are out of work and looking desperately for a job?

 http://go.jyhelger.1ternet.106.1tpe.net

Make a free website with emyspot.com - Report abuse