St MARY OF THE AUGUSTINIANS / ÖMERGE MOSQUE

St. MARY OF THE AUGUSTINIANS / ÖMERGE MOSQUE

N° 50 l

Town / Village : Nicosia

District : Nicosia

 

DESCRIPTION :

Old Augustinian monastic church built in 14th century.

One-aisled church roofed with ribbed vauts. It consists of three bays ending in three sided apse and a chapel added to the north side (this was almost certainly the shrine of St John de Montfort, one of the most famous of the Latin saints of Cyprus). Facade porch with triple arcade.

The vaulting of the roof was destroyed in the siege of 1570  and was rebuilt as with wood.

Turned into mosque (Ömerge) in 1571. According to a legend , the Prophet Omar oce visited Nicosia and lodged in the porch of a church ; Mustapha, the victorious Ottoman general identified the Augustine church as the resting-place of the prophet. Gothic decoration and addition of minaret was done during the Ottoman period.

Period : early 14th century

 

OUTSTANDING VALUE :

 

MAPS / LINKS

 

DOCUMENTS / BIBLIOGRAPHY

A large number of tombstones, memorials of the Lusignan nobility, were removed from this mosque in 1935.

Ref#: 19

PHOTOS / VIDEOS

 














 

Make a free website with emyspot.com - Report abuse