SULTAN'S LIBRARY

SULTAN’S LIBRARY

N° 50 p
Town / Village : Nicosia

District : Nicosia

 

DESCRIPTION :

In the eastern end of the St Sofia cathedral is the Sultan’s Library, a small building with three domes which was built (classical Ottoman plan) during the reign of Sultan Mahmud II. The building was the librart of the Buyuk Medresse (Theological School) which does not exist today.

On the walls of the Library’s central hall there is a poem written by the then Mufti of Cyprus, Hasan Hilmi, and dedicated to Sultan Mahmud. The poem is written in Arabic calligraphy .


Period : 1829

 

OUTSTANDING VALUE :

The Library has an important collection of Turkish, Arabic and Persian books and manuscripts. Some of these were sent by the Sultan from Constantinople and they are considered to be fine examples of traditional Islamic calligraphy.

 

MAPS / LINKS

 

DOCUMENTS / BIBLIOGRAPHY

 

PHOTOS / VIDEOS

 

NEWS / THREATS 

ADVERTS :

 Recipes From Around The World
Bring the exotic tastes of other countries into your home with Recipes From Around The World
 http://go.jyhelger.zf5.21.1tpe.net

 

Make a free website with emyspot.com - Report abuse